Health & Safety and Security are key in the construction sector. The safety of the workforce, and the communities it works with are at the heart of the construction business and it is continuously searching for new and improved ways to ensure workers remain safe. In complex large-scale building sites, it is critical to set up secure access control and operational monitoring systems with real-time response to minimise H&S risks. We are looking for innovators to leverage the capabilities of 5G for the following use cases.
- Flexible perimeter control and access monitoring systems of workers, vehicles, sites and machines, including intelligent verification to the safe entry to site and operation of equipment and handling and supply of materials
- Remote control and real-time processing of high-volume data for site inspections
- Real-time operational tracking, risk assessment and warning systems of workers and drivers to ensure worker safety and mitigate potentially unsafe behaviours
Currently different solutions are used including CCTV, sensors, wearables, as well as manual certification, but the turnaround is not in real-time and the system cannot be moved easily from one site to another. We would be looking for devices and solutions that provides wireless and touchless verification and control, remote & real-time monitoring and response and the ability to make more timely informed decisions through real-time assessment of safety risks by using multi-access edge computing, unmanned aerial vehicles, AI and computer vision enabled by 5G to:
- Check workers have the correct authorisation and PPE to enter the site, including entrance to high-risk areas and designated walkways, as well as to operate specific machinery.
- Check vehicles or delivery trucks have the correct authorisation before entering the site, and following designated routes.
- Provide accurate remote mapping of sites and real-time data to improve inspections and briefings
- Ensure workers follow correct safety procedures and enable triggers and controls to mitigate potential unsafe practices and real-time near-miss detection